Copyright 2013...Jeff Greenberg...All Rights Reserved
No writings or any other items on this blog may be used or reproduced in any form without the author's written permission or consent.

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Sensational and Surreal Start of Summer Season 2019!…part 5: Blues Loss, Sad Departure, then 52 Years of Frustration Swept Away!


     I don’t know about you, but I was soooo excited all day on Sunday, June 9!  I was cocksure that with the Stanley Cup in town, the St. Louis Blues would come out flying and bottle up the Boston Bruins in all three zones to finally claim hockey’s top prize! On the other hand, my girlfriend Pam said she was sure it would not be tonight. 

     Trying to put game 6 out of my mind for awhile, there was another area of deep emotion on this day.  My son David and wife Marleen repacked their stuff to start tomorrow morning’s long trek back to Germany. I gave David my late father’s gold wedding ring with stones to resize and wear.  We looked through more old photos together.

     Since they didn’t feel like playing volleyball or socialize much, I took them to Pam’s to grill a whole lot of food items for dinner as we watched the Blues trail Boston, 1-0 after one period.  Naturally, it was a power play goal by Bruins’ veteran Brad Marchand.  The Blues had 20 penalty minutes in the game to just 10 by the Bruins.

     It was still 1-0 entering the third period.  So, there was a great deal of hope for a St. Louis comeback.  But hope subsequently turned to mush.  Ryan O’Reilly’s third period goal came after Boston had grabbed a 3-0 lead, and before even two more Boston tallies in a 5-1 setback. 

     So, the series would come down to a game 7 on Wednesday night, June 12.  Neither David nor Marleen would see game 7 as I was up Monday at 3 a.m. to take them past Enterprise Center and back to the Greyhound station.  A lot more emotion mixed in with goodbye hugs.

     Back to the regular Monday work routine, grocery shopping and catching up on things. I went home from work Tuesday for grass cutting. While I was doing yard waste, a couple walked by, saying that the yard waste could wait.  There’s a free concert down in the park!  So, I put a pizza in the oven, showered, changed & sat by that couple, Ginny and Ted, and we even had a few group dances!

     Dateline:  Wednesday, June 12, 2019:  I was among a large cast of characters wearing Blues clothes to work.  I also hoisted several memorabilia items to work from the yearbook following our very first season to rally towels, posters, commemorative bottles and pucks!

     It was extremely tough to focus on anything but tonight’s game 7! I pigged out at work and after work, showered, changed into my Blues clothes and headed to Johnny’s West.  I was one of the first ones there, waiting for some 20 others for reserved seating in the big-screen TV room!  My girlfriend Pam came straight from work and met me there.  By the time Pam arrived for her saved seat, the building was overflowing in numbers and anticipation!

     I probably knew just over half the people in our group.  There was one old friend I had not seen in nearly a year.  A couple people asked if I wanted to sit by her.  But she was with a few other ladies who were more the bandwagon types when it came to hockey. So, I opted to stay on my side of the table with fellow decades-long Blues fan Bobby and an entirely new acquaintance, long-time passionate Blues freak Gary. 

     After all, I had been following hockey religiously since 1963 with the St. Louis Braves, a Central Hockey League affiliate of our now hated rival, the Chicago Black Hawks!  I can still recall the names of nearly a dozen players from that era who played at the old Kiel Auditorium, but I will save you the agony.

     The Blues certainly did not get off to the fast start that their first-year coach Craig Berube had hoped.  The Blues were outshot, 12-4 in the opening period with a 9-2 edge in scoring chances.  But as he had done throughout the regular season and playoffs, rookie goaltender Jordan Binnington was phenomenal in a game following a loss. Also, the Blues record was an incredible 12-4-4 on the road from January 23 to the end of the regular season!

     In addition, Binnington was the prime reason the Blues clawed their way up the ladder from having the fewest points in the entire 31-team National Hockey League on the morning of January 3! 

     Meanwhile, the Blues proved to be real opportunists at the other end of the rink in period one of game 7.  Eventual Conn Smythe Trophy winner (playoff Most Valuable Player) Blues newcomer Ryan O’Reilly gave the Blues the lead with just 3:13 left in the period.  Fellow veteran Alex Pietrangelo stunned the crowd by making it 2-0 with just 8 seconds remaining!

     That second goal was the start of my off and on happy crying frenzy!  After a scoreless second period, it was still 2-0 midway through the second period. When young Brayden Schenn gave the Blues a 3-0 lead at 11:25 of the final period, I cried my eyes out!

     What looked like a total impossibility in early January, was about to come to fruition!  Rookie Zach Sanford’s goal at 15:22 made losing a near impossibility!  The surreal reality, if that is even a possible combination of words, was that the Blues led 4-0 with just 4:38 left in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals! After posting an incredible 24-6-4 since January 23 to the end of the regular season, the Blues were about to complete a 10-3 road playoff run against the likes of Winnipeg, Dallas, San Jose and Boston.




     Tears of joy increased as I continued to think back to just over 49 years ago when I went to one of those Stanley Cup Finals games against Boston.  Perched way up in a corner of the Standing Room Only section at the old Arena with my sisters Debby and Sherry, I still recall veteran Jimmy Roberts give the Blues a 1-0 lead.  That was our only lead in the entire four-game series.  It was also our only goal in that game as we lost, 6-1 to the mighty Bruins with the likes of perennial All-Stars Phil Esposito, Bobby Orr, Johnny Bucyk, Ken Hodge and others!

     It also brought to mind my own dad.  He had followed hockey way back to the St. Louis Flyers of the American Hockey League in the 1940s and ‘50s. I was the last family member to see him alive on April 21, 2009, with a late visit to his hospice room.  Ironically, we were watching the final game of the Blues being swept in round one by the Vancouver Canucks.

     A few years before that, he told me, “It looks like the Blues won’t win the Cup in my lifetime.  It’s up to you.” 

     Boston broke Binnington’s shutout in the game’s final three minutes in this incredibly clean game, but the dream had actually become a reality!  Watching the highlights after captain Pietrangelo and other Blues players took turns skating with, holding up the Stanley Cup, kissing it, etc., I kept pointing to the screen when four words were being shown.
Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor

     In fact, while still crying my eyes out, I showed and mentioned that reality to every person in our group and as many waitresses and fellow customers I could:  “Blues Win Stanley Cup!”

     What an incredible reality to the end of a most unusual dream! So, this is what being on Cloud 9 feels like! It’s now 2 ½ months later, and I still feel the adrenalin high!  That will probably last for the rest of my earthly days!




No comments:

Post a Comment