Copyright 2013...Jeff Greenberg...All Rights Reserved
No writings or any other items on this blog may be used or reproduced in any form without the author's written permission or consent.

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Bush Gets Up Early for a Worthy Charity

(Here is a brief, charitable article I wrote long ago to go with articles I posted on 3/4/19...and several others I have had published.  More to come, and this is one of my favorite areas in which to write!)

     In some respects, Saturday morning was like any weekday morning for Mike Bush.  The KDSK-TV and KSD-FM "Breakfast Club" sportscaster had to get up very early, and give his brief, comical spiel.  But instead of delivering the "Sports in My Shorts" report from his basement, Bush was allowed to venture into the public eye.

     Bush, serving as emcee and honorary chairman, addressed a throng of some 600 shorts-clad participants in the opening ceremonies of the third annual Cystic Fibrosis Corporate Sports Challenge at John Burroughs School.

     "They asked me if I wanted to do it, and I said, 'Why would I bypass a chance to get up at 7 o'clock? Sure, I'll do it," Bush said in his soothing, baritone voice.  "But seriously, I was involved in a lot of charity work when I was in Kansas City and New Orleans.  Like those, this is a well-organized, worthwhile event, and I like to do things to give back to the community."

     The community itself responded well to this year's fundraiser.  The group of entries increased from 33 corporations last year to 47 this time.  While the $500 team entry fee and other donations totaled some $25,000 last year, this year's goal of $30,000 was nearly achieved.

     "I think the response was just great, but this is a most worthwhile charity," said Lu Ann Pate, Cystic Fibrosis' director of special event fundraisers. "It's a frightening thing for parents of healthy children when they try to understand what these kids go through.  The only way to raise money is to get the message out, and this is a fun way to do it."

     The fun consisted of an eight-person, one-mile relay, and 10-team action in the basketball shoot, obstacle course, rubber raft relay, standing long jump and tug-of-war.




     Besides money raised for participation, generosity was also displayed in the area of refreshments by sponsors National Super Markets and Vess, as well as Eagle Brand Snacks and Alderton Brokerage.

     The St. Louis Business Journal was the third major sponsor of the event which benefits those who are afflicted with America's No. 1 genetic killer of children and young adults.  Youngsters with cystic fibrosis not only suffer through a series of lung and digestive disorders, but rarely live beyond their 20s.

No comments:

Post a Comment