Copyright 2013...Jeff Greenberg...All Rights Reserved
No writings or any other items on this blog may be used or reproduced in any form without the author's written permission or consent.

Friday, May 15, 2020

Always Appreciate the Simple Wonders of Life


     
      When athletes are on a hot streak, they are said to be in the zone.  That’s precisely how I felt after work yesterday evening simply because I was alone in nature.  After all, my mindset is akin to Henry David Thoreau at Walden Pond; John Muir or Gifford Pinchot in forest or mountain solitude.

     Throughout my 8-4 work shift, I was literally praying that it would not rain during that ensuing time period.  That was after I met outdoors with my favorite once-a-week vendor in a light rain shower at mid-morning.

     Things looked promising most of the day.  Then it started raining as soon as I sprinted from the work place and got to my car.  Just five minutes later, it was pouring combined with lightning bolts in the west southwestern sky that seemed to travel from the skyline far into the stratosphere.

     But soon as I had parked my car at Creve Coeur Park’s Sailboat Cove, as I had done hundreds of times, the shower had ended.  It was as if my guardian angel had parted the clouds like Moses had parted the Red Sea.

     I normally walk around the entire lake counter-clockwise, which had been forbidden over the past two weeks due to the ungodly corona virus outbreak.  It didn’t matter how sick I was of the term ‘social distancing’ or TV and radio commercials proclaiming ‘We’re all in this together,’ etc. etc. etc.  I wanted to be alone in nature.

     So, after a brisk 10-minute walk in the demanded clockwise position on the paved trail, I made a sharp turn to my right and continued in that direction and all the way back on the nice, soft sand along the lake’s edge.

     On this 75-degree day, how I enjoyed the cool, fresh ‘ocean’ breeze tangling my long, salt and pepper brown hair.  I was lost in time as if I was back exploring some of the great coastal and landlocked beaches I’ve had the privilege to enjoy while exploring all 50 states and beyond.  While walking, I was reminiscing about coastal beach giants like Waikiki, Panama City, Cannon, Acadia and Valdez.

     I was also content to amble about, tuning out the remainder of civilization, collecting colorful pebbles and rocks of a wide variety of colors just as I have always done in other states.  The reason for this is that I have always enjoyed the simple things in nature…well before COVID-19 hit to enjoy its millisecond of time in the earth’s history.

     How about you?  What are some of the simple things in life you will choose to enjoy that perhaps you have taken for granted for lengthy stretches of your life?
     I know that many of you have let all aspects of the pandemic totally overtake your way of life and your psyche for two straight months.  But how will your thought process change in the coming weeks?  It’s 100 per cent up to you because, whether you realize it or not, we are not all in the same boat for this or just about any other areas of life. 

     Like a wide variety of diamonds, we were all created as individuals with an opportunity to exhibit our own special facets in the Great Human Potential of life itself.  And the time to start realizing that is in this very moment!  So, go find your own zones of wonderment in both work and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment