Copyright 2013...Jeff Greenberg...All Rights Reserved
No writings or any other items on this blog may be used or reproduced in any form without the author's written permission or consent.

Friday, July 24, 2026

Olivia Pieknik starts Ballwin meeting with moving patriotic revelation

 

Less than a minute after the Pledge of Allegiance, Olivia Pieknik, who has served the city of Ballwin for more than two decades, took patriotism to another level at its July 13 Board of Aldermen meeting.

This came at the very outset of the Citizen Comments segment of the meeting.



“I just want to compliment the city and the Department of Parks and Recreation for all the events to celebrate America’s 250th birthday. I loved the yard decorating contest and especially at The Pointe.   I also loved the display of the flags along Manchester Road. I get emotional still whenever I see the flag; still the same emotion when I saw the flag 46 years ago when my family and I arrived in America.”

They arrived at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York City following a lengthy time in a refugee camp waiting for their application to be approved to come to America.

“I just want to tell you how grateful I am to be in America. After the fall (to North Vietnam) of Saigon (currently Ho Chi Minh City) in April of 1975, we lived in hell under the Vietnamese Communists regime, and we finally made our way to escape in May of 1979. So, after four years under the Communist regime, I knew I would never take my freedom for granted.  And I know, thanks to our veterans and all those who defend our country, freedom is not free. It’s never free. It’s paid by the sacrifice of the veterans and all those who protect and defend the freedom that I enjoy right now.”

Pieknik’s family came to New York City, but had to wait six years to become U.S. citizens.

“I know it’s a privilege to be a citizen of this great country. I would never forget the kindness and the generosity that America has offered to me and my family. We started to learn the English language two weeks after we came, we learned the culture, and we promised ourselves that we would be productive citizens. We would work hard, obey the law, and also, most of all, that America was going to be our home.

“We pledged allegiance to America, and became citizens in 1986. We knew that our best days would be when we were able to vote in the presidential elections in 1988. We were so proud, and we will always be proud to be a citizen of this great nation.

“So today, I just wanted to again compliment the city for all the events we celebrated for America’s 250th birthday and to speak out as a reminder for myself that I would never take for granted what this country has offered me and what I have right now, and I’m so proud to be an American, and G-d bless America, my home sweet home.”

Ballwin in particular has been the home of 65-year-old Pieknik since 1994. While residing there, Pieknik has served as secretary for the Planning & Zoning Commission, on the Board of Adjustment, and other city-wide offices.

Shortly after Pieknik’s speech, alderwoman Janet Rodrigues Judd (Ward 1) sang her praises for Pieknik.

“I just want to say, thank you, Olivia! You gave me goose bumps, and I wanted to say thank you for your fortitude and your attitude and gratitude. It’s just so inspiring. Thanks!”

Finally, alderman Michael Finley (Ward 1) showed his appreciation for Pieknik in the Aldermanic Comments segment of the meeting.

“Commissioner Pieknik, thank you for your remarks. It was wonderful to learn your life story like that…and nice shirt.”

Yes, Olivia Pieknik entered the Ballwin Government Center displaying a patriotic shirt as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment